What you need
- 2 medium very ripe bananas – mashed with a fork
- 125g softened butter
- ¾ cup castor sugar
- 2 large free range eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup plain flour
- ¾ cup self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 100g good quality dark or milk chocolate (roughly chopped)
For the frosting
- 60g cream cheese (softened)
- 30g butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup icing sugar (sifted)
- 50g dark chocolate chunks (roughly chopped)
What to do
Heat oven to 180c. Grease and line the bottom and sides of a loaf tin with baking paper.
Place the butter and sugar in large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until light and creamy.
Add eggs one at a time and beat well, then add mashed bananas and vanilla and mix until combined.
Add sifted flours with bicarbonate soda and beat slowly until well combined.
Add chocolate pieces and gently mix through.
Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin.
Bake for 35- 40 minutes (or until skewer comes out clean when pierced in the centre)
Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
For the Frosting
To prepare the frosting, place the cream cheese, butter and vanilla essence in a mixing bowl and beat using an electric mixer (or by hand), until it is smooth and creamy.
Slowly add the sifted icing sugar and beat on a medium speed until the mixture is smooth and fully combined.
Once the cake has cooled, spread the frosting over it and sprinkle with chopped chocolate.